Sunday 20 November 2011

Oatmeal Chocolate Chip Cookie with Apple Bits 

"A balanced diet is a cookie in each hand."



The first thing that came to my mind this morning upon waking up was chocolate chip cookies. I know I had to cut back on sweets as I've been eating too much lately (again). Normally, I hide the weighing scale as it depresses me but I've read somewhere that one must keep track of how they weigh if on a diet. So now, the scale is right in front of my mirror, taunting me every time I look at my reflection. Instead of deflating my self-esteem though, after a few weeks, I became immune. I still weigh myself occasionally and instead of losing the pounds, they just...stay there. Neither going up nor going down. Not sure if it is a good thing. I feel great though you can't make me run a 10km marathon. Healthy enough to walk the whole day at a normal pace and not feel faint (with occasional ice cream breaks in between).

After having a healthy breakfast of cereal (whole grain, no sugar), Mr E and I headed down to the grocery store to purchase some ingredients for our lunch. And I picked up some chocolate chips. And some vanilla essence. I almost won but sometimes it's better to give in to your temptations (haha!).


This oatmeal cookie recipe I used has no butter, half the amount of sugar than normal recipes and apples. Technically, this should be a healthier version of an oatmeal cookie (I haven't done any calorie computations on this). Even though it has no butter and less sugar, the cookies came out crunchy on the outside with a chewy center (yummy-licious!).



Oatmeal Choco Chip Cookie with Apple Bits
(150ºC at 15mins / produces 28 cookies)

A
1 cup all-purpose flour
1/2 tsp baking soda
1/2 tsp baking powder
1/2 tsp cinnamon
1/4 tsp salt

B
1/4 cup canola oil
1/2 cup light brown sugar
2 medium eggs
1 cup apple sauce
1 tsp vanilla essence

C
2 cups rolled oats
4 tbsp wheat germ
1 cup diced apples
1 cup semi-sweet chocolate chips

Pre-heat your oven and line 2 cookie sheets with parchment paper.

Sift ingredients under A in a bowl and whisk together so they are evenly combined. In a separate bowl, combine ingredients under B and whisk them until foamy (roughly for 3-5mins).

Then fold together ingredients A and B until smooth. Throw in the ingredients under C and roughly fold it in. If, like me, you live in a hot and humid country, place your dough inside the fridge for 5-10mins to firm it up.

Scoop the dough evenly and place them on your sheets, leaving 1 inch space in between the dough (I'm using a 1 inch scoop). Lightly flatten the dough to get rid of the dome created by the scoop. The dough does not spread so much because it lacks butter.

After 10-15 minutes of staring at the oven and watching your cookies bake (I do this all the time, I'm such a mother hen when it comes to baking), it's time to chomp your way to cookie heaven (they taste so good while still warm)!

No comments:

Post a Comment