Tuesday 8 November 2011

5th of November

"Remember remember the fifth of November
Gunpowder, treason and plot.
I see no reason why gunpowder, treason
Should ever be forgot..."

I find it suitable to commemorate my birthday with this poem in mind. It reminds me to look back at my past year and remember the lessons life has taught me–never regretting past deeds, spending more time with people who matter most and to keep on learning. 
my birthday feast

Which is why I have started this journal. I wanted to learn more about making delicious treats and pick up some photography skills as well. I was so inspired by countless of blogs and television shows wherein their food looks so good I could almost smell the aroma from my monitor! So, I can only try my best to keep baking and shooting photos and hope that with the constant practice I can become better. 

Moving on to more yummy cuisines...

My birthday this year has fallen on a long weekend (yey!) and that means more time to explore new attractions and devour an excellent meal at the CBD area of Singapore. After my morning language classes, we (Mr E and I) headed down to Marina Bay Sands and had a lunch buffet at Rise. I like the open space, high ceiling and naturally illuminated dining area of this restaurant. Anything bright always cheers me up.


Am I the only one who finds buffet style meals confusing? Its hard to decide where to start. But the dessert table won me over at one glance. There was a wide selection of desserts–parfaits, bread pudding, ice cream, bite size cakes and tarts. As much as I wanted to, I did not get to taste every dessert they had. I only tried the ones that looked lip-smacking sweet.

*drool*

this orange mocha parfait (i think) did not disappoint!

sweet strawberry from the chocolate fountain station
loved the chocolate bread pudding as it was soft on the inside but with a crunchy exterior

Yes, I got carried away with the dessert. It took all my self-restraint to pause and take a photo before quickly eating it. I found the main course on the average side as I was expecting the pasta to be good but instead it was lacking one basic thing...my pasta noodles were so undercooked that it was crunchy. I've tasted better pasta in Pastamania. The lamb meat from the kebab was good though a bit dry. The vegetable lasagna was bland. And then I tried the salmon...and it was gooooood!

fresh salmon

The seaweed salad (my fave!) was also good. In fact, I probably consumed so much seaweed salad that Mr E (my dear husband) was shaking his head and telling me that if I liked seaweed so much we should have gone to a Japanese restaurant instead.

seaweed salad with tuna and salami (odd combination but it was tasty)

I truly wished I had the cheese platter. I decided to stop before I regretted it though. You see, I am a slighty lactose intolerant person with a stubborn streak. I just make sure I consume dairy when I don't mind taking multiple trips to the loo. Since we still had the museum trip planned, I decided to forgo the cheese and have another serving of seaweed.

It was a satisfying lunch buffet and though there were some disappointing dishes, the good ones balanced it out. I would probably try other places before coming back here. On a scale of one to five ( one being the lowest), I would rate the food at 3/5 and the ambiance at 4/5.

No comments:

Post a Comment